PC 012: SOCIOLOGY OF EDUCATION
Course duration: This is a 48 hour course covered in two blocks.
Course Aims and objectives:
The course aims to:
- relate sociological concepts to classroom practice.
- enable students to evaluate sociological theories with a view to improving the teaching and learning process.
- foster in student teachers a sense of cultural and social identity which are consistent with the teaching profession and society in general.
At the end of the course , students are expected to be able to:
- demonstrate an understanding of the sociological and historical framework within which educational institutions work.
- Identify and create conditions that promote meaningful learning.
- counsel and guide pupils in response to their personal needs.
Through this course, sociology of education, you will acquire a very important intellectual asset for your
future teaching career. It is the only subject that can give you a better grasp of the
overall education process and the meaning of teaching practices, and raise your
awareness of the imperatives of social dynamics. However, we must not forget
that a truly professional understanding of the education process also requires the
acquisition of scientific knowledge from related disciplines such as psychology,
philosophy, history, statistics, and so on
- Teacher: Dr. E. Mandoga